INTERVIEW : 2004-09-20 The Darker Side (by Joshua Klein)


On first listen, Joseph Arthur's songs are dark and mysterious. On second listen, they're magical and masterful. "Our Shadows Will Remain" is Arthur's latest masterpiece, and the singer/songwriter took some time out before his tour to talk to RedEye about recording the disc and its slightly more menacing tone.

You're a New Yorker--why did you record much of this album in New Orleans?

Well, it just seems to me a real interesting city in America. It has this strange vibe, more like Europe or something. It's 24-7, and you're still allowed to smoke in bars, so it seemed like an interesting place to check out. There's the music, the history, and I know people there, so I have places to stay.

The new record sounds like something might have produced. It's pop, but it has a real dark edge to it.

Wow. That's an amazing compliment. I love Brian Eno. He sang on my first record. He's definitely an inspiration, or an influence. He doesn't have an identity that's restricted to one aesthetic. He's sort of fully punk rock, but he can produce a really big pop song too.

What accounts for the disc's darker tone?

I think it was more of a result of how life is, where I've been at. I didn't restrain myself, really, and that can be a good thing.

Is it frustrating that critical success hasn't translated to radio play?

. . . I'm not frustrated, but I went through a period where everything was in flux, in transition. I wasn't living anywhere, specifically; I didn't have a record deal or manager while I was making the record. So I think that sort of energy is in it. There's a feeling of survival and necessity to it.

You're versatile enough to play solo and with a band.

I've been playing with Joan Wasser lately. She used to be in the Dambuilders. She plays violin and sings. It's been a cool accompaniment.



Joseph Arthur

When: 9 p.m. Monday

Where: Double Door, 1572 N. Milwaukee Ave.

Tickets: $10

----------





Comments

Popular Posts