INTERVIEW : 2010-05-18 Q&A: Joseph Arthur waxes lyrically to Gibson.com (by Shanon Chaiken)


Singer/songwriter Joseph Arthur was discovered by Peter Gabriel in the mid-’90s and signed to the artist’s Real World label that released Arthur’s debut album, Big City Secrets, in 1997.


Initially a singer/songwriter in the Leonard Cohen/Jeff Buckley camp, his work with Gabriel broadened his musical canvas and in 1999 Arthur received a Grammy nomination for Best Recording Package, thanks to his design with co-art director Zachary Larner. Arthur then released his sophomore effort, Come to Where I’m From, one year later on Virgin Records. The album showcases Arthur’s personal twist on the Americana genre, and he spent some time as an opening act for The The. American dates with Tracy Chapman followed in summer 2003, and after starting his own label, Lonely Astronaut, he published a collection of his artwork entitled We Almost Made It, complete with a mostly instrumental accompaniment, The Invisible Parade, in the spring of 2006. He’s one of the most creative and active artists in America and he recently took time to chat with Gibson.com.


What was the first album you ever bought?

Tattoo You by The Rolling Stones.

What sound do you love to hear?

A Les Paul through a wah-wah with fuzz and delay as I solo over one chord looping.

It’s like surfing an invisible wave or the subconscious stretching itself out on the couch like a feral cat.

Name five items you would need on a desert island.

1) My woman

2) Food

3) Water

4) Acoustic guitar

5) And the book called I Am That

If you could choose an occupation other than your current one, what would it be and why?

Shrink. Cause then I could figure it out another way.

What is your current dream guitar/instrument? Describe in detail.



In all honesty, it’s a Les Paul with a Bigsby. Something like the Florentine.

What bands/artists/songs are you currently listening to?

I’m recording a record so I’m not listening to much but the sound of my own spaceship.

Name a place you haven’t toured before but are really interested in playing and tell us why.

Japan. The reasons are endless but I have friends who tell me I would love it there.

Can’t wait!

If you could put together the ultimate jam, who would be included, dead or alive?

Miles Davis, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, John Lennon, John Bonham, Jaco Pastorius, Charlie Parker, Thelonious Monk, and Mozart and give them access to any orchestra in the world. Biggie Smalls, Dr. Dre, Charles Mingus, and let Hal Willner produce it.

New York’s City Winery, you finished a long residency there, can you talk a bit about that project and your goals?

I want to create an amazing scene of loose NYC prophets getting sublime deep in the trench.
I want the water to become wine
And the wine to flow like blood
From my head to theirs
I want to stare at the sun and blank myself
Until I am the thin wire sound stretching thru feedback
Bending on the Bigsby
That you let me sail my subconscious through
Let me ask you something
How does it feel to make the best guitars in the world?


  

Popular Posts