REVIEW : Temporary People - Popwreckoning




Honestly, I am kicking myself that it took me so long to sit down and listen to this fantastic album. Why did I wait so long, you ask? A little bit of life getting in the way, and a little bit of unfounded assumption, I had never heard of Joseph Arthur or the Lonely Astronauts for that matter. When I finally tackled this one on an Amtrak train on my way up to Montreal for the weekend, I hung my head in shame, as the latest effort from this prolific artist is worth more than the commissioned first listen it received.
Heading north, I let Joseph Arthur rip. And rip-roar he did. From the first chord, I felt as if I were listening to some kind of Dylan, Stones and Springsteenlovechild. Arthur’s seventh full-length studio album Temporary People is rich with the sound of 60s psychedelic pop, classic guitar rock, far reaching and tender choir choruses, and breezy sing along folk-type lyrics.

The opening/title track is a bit dark and clearly inspired by Arthur’s self-admitted long-fought battle with drugs and alcohol. Arthur sings about feeling empty and filling himself up with the lives of friends and lovers instead of facing himself. Arthur’s raspy voice carries a hint of a southern drawl and his words are both warm and wise. Midway though the song, a ghost-like chorus rears its head, as if the sounds of himself are waking. The soaring electric guitars at the end drive the tone desperation all the way home. In that sort of “it feels good to feel bad” way we all like to indulge in sometimes.

Arthur’s contemptuous riot on “Dead Savior” followed by the proselytizing chorus of “Look Into The Sky”, shows an artist with range and great skill, one who pulls together complex arrangements with well-rounded vocal compositions, but at the same time, one who appears to be following his gut, just like it’s the first time. The songs don’t feel meticulous or fussed over, rather, there is a rawness, an exposed feeling on this record that gives me a little bit of a lump in my throat. My favorite track is easily “Turn You On”. It’s a homegrown kind of love song that I think would make The Bossproud. Arthur concedes: “You say, I don’t turn you on, until it’s time for me to go” with a hoarse, scratchy, clawing agony, not for himself, but for her pain and the loneliness that’s so common in truly loving another.

Self-producing four EPs this year alone on his own label, Lonely Astronaut Records, owner of his own art gallery in Brooklyn for a period of time, writer, visual artist, filmmaker, and all around creative machine, it’s a bit overwhelming to get to know this artist given the number of directions he’s coming from. But the uncomplicated, good old, dark with a light at the end of the tunnel vibe ofTemporary People is a fine place to start. Go ahead and help yourself to a highball of Wild Turkey and a smoke, Joseph Arthur has been to a few places, and he’s ready to rock.




Comments

Popular Posts