POEMS : 2012



its funny


its funny
us humans
we celebrate these points
in life
we agree on the date
and this is when we know things are changing
time is getting us old
we let go of the past
we are new again
redefined
we expect it will get better now
we hope
we celebrate
its funny
we wish each other well
and then the year changes and we change with it
we are given another chance and still another
and maybe its enough
maybe its true what they say
when they say
never give up
and your dreams will come true
never give up
and love will hunt you down
and take you hostage
and you'll hope you never escape
and maybe you never will
and i hope this for you


---


Resolution


1 become more free

2 work with abandon and without the hoax of identity

3 exercise as if its still possible to be a super hero

4 learn to eat like a monk who devotes everything to God

5 learn to play as if the devil wears your boots

6 sing like you found the bottom of your soul and still keep digging

7 make the internet difficult to get too

8 read more than three books

9 try and join the human race

10 try to wake up by noon

11 try and sleep before five am

12 record as if its your love letter to oblivion (it is!)

13 love

14 more love

15 even more love

16 until there is only love

17 and then love

18 do laundry more than once a month

19 travel sometime for no reason or purpose

20 eclipse fear

21 learn how to fit the moon in your pocket

22 learn how to swallow the sun

23 allow dreams to come and be true

24 stay sober

25 be more in the moment than the moment before

26 take risks

27 accept and forgive

28 believe and have faith

29 redeem and prosper

30 ride your bike

31 paint life into a corner until it can only jump down your throat

32 then dance like nobody else

33 and carve from invisible stone your true love

34 and ride (with them) the stars of mercy into mercy

35 and give everything to everyone

36 be generous

37 occupy

38 inspire by being inspired

39 retire without hesitation the things that are no good

40 accept yourself with love


---


They'll swallow you with indifference


They'll swallow you with indifference
They'll make you a cartoon
They'll convince some that yer foolish
They'll cast you as a loon
Their fear, it makes them nervous
And you remind them that they're small
When you reveal your fragile heart
And throw it at the wall.
and some may pick it up
and some may run away
a new one will appear
as old ones turn to clay
friends you thought you knew
will up and disappear
and strangers coming thru
will bring vision strong and clear
don't let them in your mind
don't let them in your head
the lifeless turning blind
who'd rather see you dead
you must remain unhinged
delicate but strong
to create a different world
where only you belong
but open you must be
to let them in and fall
to grow the human tree
and break the human wall
they will call you names
but only talk to god
and just smile like the sun
when they say that you are odd
They'll swallow you with indifference
They'll make you a cartoon
They'll convince some that yer foolish
They'll cast you as a loon
Their fear, it makes them nervous
And you remind them that they're small
When you reveal your fragile heart
And throw it at the wall.
Life has been
Bigger than I've made it
Mexico has taught me
So much
The ghosts of my old sins
Find me here
But vaporize
And disappear
And all I see is love
Surrounding the people
Who surround me
Embracing the source


---


La Pulga


Everything looked like a treasure And spoke to me
Masks made of cardboard and painted red for el diablo (he said only listen to me)
And painted white for a goat (he said take a break)
And painted flesh for a girl (she said buy me candy)
And painted grey for a wolf (he said kill the girl)
And painted white again for a skull ( he said lighten up)
All floated towards me
Walking with phantom limbs no one else could see
Spoke to me
wooden antique dolls with clothes worn by age
fell on a mirror which cracked as it stole my reflection
Straining to hear the tiny voices carved from wood
(they said we have died already)
a skull on a stick with beans inside
Rattled my cage
Like a cobra or a cactus or a cross or a comb
Shaking his head with rage
I only had to laugh to stop him
And yet I let him shake
With the music of fear
As I moved on to
a jade necklace with a warrior god face
Sold to me by a shaman with an unwavering expression
He said its for luck and protection
He also gave me
a knife with an eagle on the handle
Partially broken
In a leather sheath
(I tried to make him smile but he did not)
I put it in my pocket and walked outside
Past the old automatic watches which could start and stop time for the price of a dance
Where the sky cut all of us down to size
And still
Everything looked like a treasure to me
sing this to any Ramones song


---


The Van Song


Where's my van
I ain't no
Peter pan
I ain't no
Son of Sam
I don't have
A silver hand
Where's my van
I got no
Master plan
I'm not sure
Who I am
I live in
A tiny can
I got no
Hundred grand
Come on man
Come on man
Where's my van?
I ain't blaming no
New York cop
I ain't blaming
My ma and pop
I just don't want to
Ever stop
And I'll keep going
Til I drop
I need it back
My mobile home
It ain't a biscuit or a
Telephone
It ain't a copter or a
Dead end train
I swear it knows
When I'm feeling pain
Me and that thing we
Are in sync
I won't drive her if I
Had a drink
I won't drive her when she's
Out of gas
But when she's with me
We both
Have more class
Now I'm walking every
Where I go
And with equipment
I just go to slow
I need that thing
To take me there
I need that thing
To get anywhere
She was my baby
Now she's
Lost in space
And my friends
Can see it
On my face
They say what's wrong
And I say I don't know
Where my van is
Or where to go
Where's my van
I ain't no
Peter pan
I ain't no
Son of Sam
I don't have
A silver hand
Where's my van
I got no
Master plan
I'm not sure
Who I am
I live in
A tiny can
I got no
Hundred grand
Come on man
Come on man
Where's my van?


---


We Spark When We're Damned


We all have secrets
We all have shame
We all have lovers
Who damn us with blame
We all have monkeys
Alive on our back
We all have someone
We want to attack
We all have doubt
And we all have pain
We all have days
When we wish it would rain
To stay inside
With our head buried down
Throw us in dirt
Under the ground
We all have wisdom
That we let fall away
As we're letting the moron
Inside of us play
As we let in the thief
And the one who still kills
Anyone standing
We're emptiness fills
We all have justice
Inside of us burn
Another old lesson
We try to unlearn
We all have weapons
We all have sin
As we wish we could still
Do it over again
We all have masks
We all have guilt
Burning the houses
Our suffering built
Burning the dreams
Our madness in hand
The match is our mind
We spark when we're damned
We all have blue prints
With nothing to build
As suffering calls us
Pain we have willed
We all have hatred
We all have guts
Cut as they fall out
The gnarliest ruts
We all have walk outs
We all have greed
We all have no way
To get what we need
We all have liars
We all still lie
As we look in ourselves
And pray to get by
We all have mischief
We all regret
Confused in the sorrow
That's dry when we're wet
Held in the mission
As we fall thru the void
We all hear whispers
that say we're destroyed
We all want silence
We all want peace
But still we choose chaos
And heartbreak's release
We all want power
And we all want love
Few of us get there
None to speak of
We all swim illusions
Until each of them drown
Into the darkness
We aim to get down
We all want freedom
But none here are free
It ain't you my friend
And I know it ain't me
So alas there's forgiveness
And all you condemn
The ghost full of hunger
The silence of men
Alas there's forgiveness
You must start with yourself
Tho I know it ain't easy
With your life on a shelf
Alas there's forgiveness
And nothing much more
Forgive the leper,
the thief and the whore
Forgive the judge, forgive the cop
Forgive what you start
And what you can't stop
Forgive the beast
Who feeds inside you
Forgive you must
For what else can you do?
All those voices silenced
No part of the fight
Or the cause
Like dust
They blew off the face
Of buildings coming down
All those wings
Crashing
To take off
In a different flight
To join the light
Away from here
Light we can only dream about
But never see
Until we
Like them
Are swallowed by its brightness
All those dreams stolen
And returned to the source
Like seeds planted
In another dimension
Where time has no more hands or borders
Where silence is the heart of all things
And where darkness extends into forever
And screams are never heard.


---


RNDM tour journal


Barely slept so
after the alarm went off at 530 am
I kept sleeping
somehow woke up anyway without much time to spare
and made it to JFK two minutes late for check in but they let me thru
I didn't sleep a wink on the plane, though thoroughly exhausted
it was a connecting flight to Missoula, connecting in Minneapolis
a woman wearing shorts got on the plane right before it took off
and leaned into my shoulder as she looked for a seat
I wondered if it was on purpose
she sat in the row ahead of me and glanced back
I noticed her giant wedding ring
and kept reading my book
as the flight went on I saw an empty row in the back and moved myself there
the next flight
squeezed, i think, next to an academic who kept typing loudly
starting to get moody as hell from lack of sleep
the flight lasted longer than two hours but I finally showed up at baggage claim in Missoula where
Jeff and Richard were waiting
once at Jeff's we set up the gear straight away
in his basketball court room/studio in the mountains of Montana
I was exhausted but we started playing thru somethings anyway
sounded a bit rough and my brain was a short circuit
I said lets get a coffee knowing what I needed was full on sleep.
As we drank our tea Jeff brought out boxes with matching shoes
Nikes we designed and orange jumpsuits
Richard put his on over his clothes so I did and then Jeff did
and we put on the shoes
suddenly we were matched and our energy and laughter got better
we started powering thru some of the more difficult songs
and ended up getting quite a bit done considering exhaustion.
The snow was falling in giant flakes outside and I saw two deer,
this is how winter began in 2012.
We went out to dinner and then had a snowball fight
Jeff threw the first one
lobbed past my head as I left the restaurant stunned.
We came back to the place and worked on Nina Simone's Ain't Got no and mashed it up with the Clash's mag 7
but soon called it a night and I fell asleep hard with mad dreams
the kind that flood in so vivid in direct relation to sleep depravation.
I slept hard until now,
dawn just beginning,
first light thru the cracks in the blinds.


---

103012


We've been here 4 days now,
doing nothing but focusing on playing.
Its great to sequestered for that reason,
no distraction.
This has been really healthy for me
I feel like i'm sleeping in a deeper way,
no more Ambien to help knock me out.
I wake up really early,
only sleep five or six hours but its pure sleep.
We go into town most nights for dinner
but then we are right back in the compound
jamming thru the tunes.
I'm focusing on lyrics but there's also guitar playing and sounds,
basically a lot to do.
20 or so songs to really learn in a short amount of time.
Everyones getting along and the days are filled with laughter.
Last night Brett came and listened to us play down the set and gave us notes
(Brett who engineered and mixed ACTS and who is going on the road with us as TM and front of house sound)
We cut two covers we've been working on.
Ain't got no by Nina Simone and I think of Demons by Roky Erickson
they both came out great!

On another note
I've been taking a ton of photos with my iphone and posting em,
yesterday i went on a run with Richard which is tough in this thin air,
and on my way back
I caught an image of a rainbow over the valley,
spectacular views here.

Getting away from home and the confines of my little world,
and breathing mountain air and sleeping without Ambien
I think I'm hitting a reset button and it feels really good
plus I'm playing guitar like a demon

tomorrow is our first gig
Halloween!

and right now NYC is being pounded by hurricane Sandy.
Its a strange feeling to be away from home when its being bombarded


---


103112


We spent most of the day
or the whole day and thru the evening recording.
Three covers
(Ain't got no, I think of Demons, Like a Train by the psychedelic furs)
and three originals
which i wrote the words to 2 and sung on the spot
and the third I used a poem I already had, which fit perfectly.
The band is an evolving living thing.
Its real and very exciting to be a part of.
I love making music on my own,
but I must say there is something spectacular about being in a real band,
where everyone is pulling their weight and the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
Its similar to being in a relationship.
You almost cant decide when that is gonna happen,
much less when its going to be real,
so when it does happen,
it feels like a tremendous blessing.
You watch yourself evolve a different facet of your personality,
or in this case a different side of music.

I guess when creativity is at its most magical
it feels like a culmination,
or like everything in your life has led you to now.
There is no denying
the layers of meaning dancing all around,
or that somehow the Gods are involved and smiling on high.
Of course this could all just be fantasy,
but what are we without our dreams?
And in that sense, what could be more real than our dreams?
Never am I more grateful than when really overcome by creativity.
Its like living in the pocket of your purpose.
As futile as it can all seem sometimes,
Its not.
Its really not.

Tonight is our first show,
and today we are going over the set and Brett is making roughs of what we recorded.
Its just now 8 am and I've been getting up everyday around this time or earlier.
And i must say,
I love the dawn,
and when it starts my day not when it ends my night,
I love the dawn
and it feels like its all dawning on me now.


---


110312


Two shows down.
The first on halloween night in Missoula,
which was a bit rough
but still great energy.
Small room and we were loud.
Pretty full with people coming in and out from other rooms of the club,
dressed as monsters and politicians and super heroes.
We were wearing orange of course
(cept Jeff who sent stuff ahead to NYC)
I completely blew the last song
cover of Ain't Got No mashed with mag 7 by the clash.
One a testimony about letting go of this world and embracing soul essence,
the other about fighting for your dreams in the material world
(at least thats how i make sense of it)
So when I got back to Jeff's I went over Ain't Got No 100 times before bed (NO LIE!)
try and memorize it yourself and you'll see its a real challenge
but if you want to dance with Nina you best be prepared.
We flew all day the next day to NYC
and driving into the city
(I split off from those guys to go home to brooklyn)
to see for myself that somehow i was spared from the ravages of Sandy
a miracle considering i live near the water,
but with construction on my street,
the whole street dug out basically,
I think it acted as a mote, and took the water for me.
Very Lucky.
Everything in my place was elevated by friends,
Even my piano was up on blocks
lucky as well that i have good friends looking out for me.
Driving from Newark thru downtown Manhattan was beyond surreal.
Everything completely blacked out.
Seeing NYC as a ghost town is bizarre
and its vulnerability made a real impression.
Listening to the radio and the reports of a mother who lost two young sons from her arms while
trying to get to a shelter broke my heart absolutely.
The weight of what went down hit me hard.
I love New York and the people here and tho I'm proud to be from Ohio,
I've lived here for more than 15 years and it is home.
The next day we had our show at Williamsburg music hall and getting a car to the venue was impossible.
The whole city out of gas,
and all the car companies weren't answering phones.
Ehud had to come from Williamsburg and pick me up
I walked into the venue and Jeff and Richard were already there tweaking sounds.
Jeff got us amps from Fender
and i had two twins tolexed in orange sitting beside each other,
what a thrill!
Also i expanded my pedals or sonic paints as i like to think of them,
and got busy setting up and arranging them.
There is a logic to them that must be followed,
delays reverbs and pitch based things like choruses and phasers should be run
after gain based things like overdrives and fuzzes.
I spend embarrassing amounts of time researching this stuff on the web.
I love videos of people comparing different pedals.
There is a whole culture of people who obsess over this stuff,
and i am a nerd for it.
We went out for noodles after soundcheck and then
went over some songs before the show backstage while getting into our orange gear.
David Garza opened the show and he is mind blowing.
A brilliant musician and songwriter and one that you should check out if you haven't already.
Then we went on and did much better than our first one.
The energy was just as good if not better and we were much tighter,
and i didn't really blow any songs.

Now we are on our bus about to play the Black Cat in DC.
Its nice to ride in style and be liberated from the van for a bit
(tho I'm still grateful i got it back!)

all in all the adventures of RNDM is off to a great start.


---

Comments

Popular Posts