INTERVIEW : 2007-04-18 3 questions with...Joseph Arthur (by Kari Wethington)



Akron native singer-songwriter Joseph Arthur, now based in Brooklyn, released his latest album (Let's Just Be) in March, this time with his band the Lonely Astronauts. After he spent years writing and performing on his own, the last year has marked a change for Arthur's now more collaborative sound. I chatted with Arthur about the new band and how he's embraced blogging culture.


How have things changed now that you you're not just solo, but have an entire band?

It's been a real collaborative. It was time for me to make that kind of change I think. I've been on my own for a long time. It happened organically - I didn't contrive it. I wanted to take a band out (on tour for the last album), and I figured I would make it a backing band. I didn't realize it was going to turn into such a collaboration, such a real band.


You update your Web site with "notes from the road" pretty frequently. What do you get out of that?

It's almost like public therapy, mixed with art, mixed with poetry. I think it's kind of cool - I like blog culture. I like unadulterated creativity and explorations in public - I think it dismantles fear. There's such an environment of fear, not only politically but artistically. So many people are afraid to take chances and extend themselves for fear of being judged. It's better when people are bold and brave and just do things that can challenge and provoke.


Do you check the comments fans leave?

I check into that here and there, but I don't make a habit of it. If I read them I become more self-conscious and less open. Language is a funny thing and especially in that form, it's hard to read tone and those things. A lot of people can absolutely get the wrong idea of what you're saying, so it's sorta like if you start reading the comments too much you start becoming afraid to (say what you want). It's better to not worry about other peoples' judgment. But, (my readers) usually say really nice, intelligent things. Mostly I'm impressed with how smart people are.




(from CiN Weekly)


 

Comments

Popular Posts